[Samba] What is the correct process or procedure to add functionality to Samba?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Dec 26 18:58:22 UTC 2022

On Sun, Dec 25, 2022 at 11:52:35PM -0800, Dachshund Digital wrote:
>Jeremy,
>
>Thanks for moving this to the right list.  Hey, if there is a better
>way to implement the idea, so bet it.  I was just thinking having
>Samba call back to user defined scripts would be the most user
>friendly or flexible.
>
>The key thing of course is the idea, that Samba is a bit smarter, if I
>can say that, about handling when the backing store has issues or a
>new one added.
>
>Editing the smb.conf fine for a static environment, but often have the
>need to setup a share, use it, and then retire it.  There is no, that
>I know of, dynamic way for Samba to do this, no CLI or published API
>that double be leveraged, or is there?
>
>I have used Samba for about, maybe 20 years, and have wished for most
>of them that Samba handled the backing stores state/changes with more
>elegance, then editing a text file.  :)

Well there is the option of registry shares, which can be
added/deleted/modified using a command line script.

Doesn't this do 99% of what you need, so outside of
Samba you have a script that watches for backing
store availability/problems and then modifies the
registry share definition accordingly ?