[Samba] libICU 7.1 update to 14.6 build - [homes] no longer visible from iPhone Files app (IOS 14.8.1)

David Disseldorp ddiss at samba.org
Tue Apr 26 10:12:24 UTC 2022

[cc'ing samba-technical]

Hi David,

I'd suggest that you open a bugzilla.samba.org ticket and attach a
network trace of the non-working share access attempt, preferably also
a working access trace from a libICU downgrade...

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 01:34:56 -0500, David C. Rankin via samba wrote:

> All,
>
>   This is a strange issue. 14.6 standalone, IOS 14.8.1 Files app. A few months
> back I had to add:
>
> vfs object = fruit streams_xattr

I'm unfamiliar with the iOS Files client, but have you tried adding the
catia VFS module to your configuration above ("catia" before "fruit")?
I ask due to Ralph's comment in vfs_fruit.c:
  * The OS X client maps all NTFS illegal characters to the Unicode
  * private range. This module optionally stores the characters using
  * their native ASCII encoding using vfs_catia. If you're not enabling
  * this feature, you can skip catia from vfs modules.

That said, I wouldn't expect this mapping behaviour to affect [homes]
section handling.

Cheers, David