downstream packaging of smbtorture and other testing tools

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Fri Apr 8 12:20:59 UTC 2022

On pe, 08 huhti 2022, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-04-08 at 11:25 +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > In Debian, for a long time we ship samba-testsuite package which includes
> > smbtorture binary (the main part) and a few other similar tools, --
> > gentest locktest masktest ndrdump.  Apparently fedora/redhat also ships
> > a similar package.
> >
> > I found no good usage examples for these (smbtorture manpage does not
> > make it clearly), so I asked a (seemingly simple) question about what
> > it is and how to use it.
>
> I find the ratio between samba and samba-testsuite enlightening.  I'm
> also pretty sure the 500 users who have installed it just installed
> everything samba-*.
>
> https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=samba-testsuite+samba&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> > Is this tool set useful for a linux distribution somehow?  Or maybe it
> > should be built in -enable-selftest mode only, for internal usage?
>
> That is my suggestion, but I would love to hear from the RH folks about
> their use of the samba-test package.

We are working with assumption that we'll need those for testing
individual parts -- like vfstest can be used to test external VFS
modules and smbtorture is priceless for behavior testing against other
SMB systems.

I am more intersted in python3-samba-test where the whole Python part of
our tests is located in Fedora. In my plan is to improve Kerberos tests
to be able to run them against FreeIPA. It doesn't need much, just
fixing the setup code that it wouldn't assume being run against Samba AD
and use of ldb.

For this reason, we keep them available outside of selftest environment.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy