downstream packaging of smbtorture and other testing tools

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 8 10:59:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-04-08 at 11:25 +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In Debian, for a long time we ship samba-testsuite package which includes
> smbtorture binary (the main part) and a few other similar tools, --
> gentest locktest masktest ndrdump.  Apparently fedora/redhat also ships
> a similar package.
>
> I found no good usage examples for these (smbtorture manpage does not
> make it clearly), so I asked a (seemingly simple) question about what
> it is and how to use it.

I find the ratio between samba and samba-testsuite enlightening.  I'm
also pretty sure the 500 users who have installed it just installed
everything samba-*.

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=samba-testsuite+samba&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

> Is this tool set useful for a linux distribution somehow?  Or maybe it
> should be built in -enable-selftest mode only, for internal usage?

That is my suggestion, but I would love to hear from the RH folks about
their use of the samba-test package.

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)        https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Team Member (since 2001)  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT    https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba