Drop NIS support

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 24 20:44:03 UTC 2021

On 24/03/2021 20:23, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-03-24 at 20:16 +0000, Rowland penny via samba-technical
> wrote:

>>> ...unless you know what you're doing.
>>>
>>> There are folks out there using this at scale so removing this is
>>> not
>>> really something we should consider.
>>>
>>> -slow
>>>
>> Well according to the manpage 'DO NOT USE THIS BACKEND', they
>> shouldn't
>> be using it, you cannot have it both ways.
> Rowland, the 'on new installations' is silent, but implied.

It might be to you, but to a normal user it isn't readily known.

>> Either it shouldn't be used,
>> or those warnings need to be removed from the manpage.
> The world is not always so black and white (and would be far more
> boring if it was).

You are entering into dangerous waters there, you are not supposed to
mention what you mentioned 😂

> Andrew Bartlett

OK, how about this, I rewrite the idmap_hash manpage to say that it is
only retained for existing users but must not be used for new installations.

Rowland