TimeMachine support for Big Sur - missing F_FULLFSYNC?

Tom Talpey tom at talpey.com
Thu Mar 4 14:18:25 UTC 2021

Just a quick update to say that after an upgrade to Samba 4.11,
as expected Time Machine is working fine from Big Sur. It's
quite simple to configure, in fact - most everything flows
from minimal added settings in smb.conf:

  [global]
    vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr

  [TimeMachine]
    fruit:time machine = yes

mDNS doesn't appear to be functioning for some reason, so
I've hotwired avahi-daemon to advertise the share.

There are some quirks due to my use of a ZFS backend, and
the usual set of Ubuntu package mix-and-match differences,
which is why I'm only on 4.11 for now. I'm sorting out the
fruit:metadata, fruit:resource and fruit:nfs_aces options
relative to ZFS, but Time Machine appears to be not so
sensitive to these. One thing at a time.

I'll try to add something useful to the wiki later.

Tom.