TimeMachine support for Big Sur - missing F_FULLFSYNC?

Tom Talpey tom at talpey.com
Tue Mar 2 13:14:13 UTC 2021

On 3/2/2021 1:56 AM, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> Hi Tom!
>
> Am 3/2/21 um 4:51 AM schrieb Tom Talpey via samba-technical:
>> Does the 4.7.6 version of vfs_fruit support F_FULLFSYNC advertisement?
>> I find some mentions of earlier versions supporting F_FULLSYNC (no extra
>> "F"!), but zero mention of either fullsync or fullfsync in release notes
>> for any Samba/vfs_fruit version. Is that just a typo, in which case, why
>> is Big Sur complaining?
>
> You need at least 4.8 for this.

Hi Ralph! I guess I figured Ubuntu would be off-by-one. :)
I'll upgrade, had hoped to avoid a full network forklift but
it's perhaps due.

I think it would be good to refresh the wiki regarding this.
I did find

	https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_Samba_to_Work_Better_with_Mac_OS_X

which does in fact state the 4.8 requirement in rather fine
print, but the page says things like "here are suggestions"
to "improve operability with Mac OS X", and "as far as I know".
I'll see if I can help improve it after I muddle through the
situation.

Tom.