PATCH: make disabling of vfs_snapper consistent with our configure/build system

David Disseldorp ddiss at samba.org
Wed Sep 2 09:21:32 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 12:43:11 +0200, Björn JACKE via samba-technical wrote:

> On 2020-08-31 at 14:53 +0200 Karolin Seeger via samba-technical sent off:
> > The point with 4.13.0 is, that the !snapper in the vfs module list does
> > not work any longer (and it does in 4.12). It has been broken by commit
> > 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a.
> >
> > Additionally, Samba does not build by default on many non Linux
> > plattforms any longer. The auto dection mode "build if possible" is very
> > nice for vendors.

I respectfully disagree :-). In my opinion "build if possible" behaviour
leads to:
- inconsistent build results depending on host state
- increased wscript complexity
- slower waf configure turnaround

> > Can we revert this patch for 4.13.0?
>
> reverting the mentioned patch is the most simple and straight forward solution
> as the newly introduced option is not required and the generic module
> activate/deactive mechanism can be used. Any other solution with redundant new
> options adds more complexity or and possibly conflicts.
>
> RB+ from me for the revert of 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a

I've submitted https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1547
It fixes --with-shared-modules=!vfs_snapper while keeping explicit
disable / enable (default) behaviour.

Cheers, David