Clarification around the DCO

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 19 15:42:04 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:10:47AM +0100, Rowland penny via samba-technical wrote:
> On 19/10/2020 10:01, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> > Am 10/19/20 um 10:09 AM schrieb Rowland penny via samba-technical:
> > > So, I bunch of Lawyers and the SFC are trying to dictate to Samba just
> > > what is in the DCO and what it should be called. The lawyers are only
> > > kicking up a fuss and dragging Samba into their argument because they
> > > cannot get their way. Is this a much simpler version of what happened ?
> > this seems really harsh and to me it seems James doesn't deserve such a
> > response in any way. He has been carefully expressing why he's
> > approaching us and he is not forcing us in any way.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -slow
> >
> It wasn't really aimed at James, it was just my understanding of what he
> posted and If my understanding is correct, then it was aimed fairly and
> squarely at the bunch of lawyers, sorry for any misunderstanding :-[
>
> My feeling is that the bunch of lawyers have spat the dummy out AND thrown
> the teddy out of the pram and are lashing out at everybody and anybody to
> get their way, they need to be put back in their box.
>
> BIG NOTE: All this is just my opinion and must not be taken as the opinion
> of the Samba team.
>
> a very blunt Lancastrian

FYI, James is also English :-). I'm sure he understands "very blunt Lancastrian"
in the way it was meant.

But IMHO this is now all a storm in a tea-cup.

James asked nicely, I screwed up by not adding the (C) to
our original text plus we've now got a decent enough name you
came up with Rowland that (hopefully) everyone is happy with
on the Samba side.

Let's add the (C), change the name and continue the
discussions on the team-list to see if we can get to
using the "standard" text.

No more "blunt" language needed :-).