Retire Fedora 29 / OpenSUSE 15.0 from CI?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 12 03:17:32 UTC 2020

G'Day Andreas and the list,

It bothers me a little that for every Samba change we make we spin up
37 builds on 37 VMs.  It feels a little excessive, and while CI is
awesome when it saves us all time we should also use the earth and
Samba Team's resources carefully.  (Even jobs aimed at the 'free' CI
can be run on our servers if GitLab.com's servers are busy, and the
planet pays either way).

Therefore I wondered if we should also stop running CI on Fedora 29 and
OpenSUSE 15.0, both of which are now it is EOL upstream?

Both went EOL in Nov/Dec 2019.

In the future I think we should set policy to only CI on (some, subject
to other constraints) supported distributions.

What do folks think?

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Solutions
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba