Python 3.6 for Samba 4.13 in Sep 2020?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 4 01:25:44 UTC 2020

G'Day,

I wondered if we could set our minimum python version at Python 3.6 for
Samba 4.13?

It has useful new features like PEP 498: Formatted string literals

https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.6.html#whatsnew36-pep498

More particularly, recent tests showed that the only two platforms
without it are Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) and Debian 9 (Streach).

Debian 10 has been released for 6 months now, and will have been out
for more than a year by the time we release Samba 4.13, and likewise
there will be a new Ubuntu LTS 20.04.

This came up because a small helper script failed to parse when we
extended the samba-o3 tests (which run on each host) to include the
local "none" tests
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/938

I realise it would be 'simpler' to just change that script, but I
wanted to raise the broader question in the hope that we could steadily
increase that minimum version.

See https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1193

Thanks!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/