Merge Request Template for Gitlab

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 10 07:08:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 07:23 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 20:35:01 CEST Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Thanks for suggesting this.  I've made that change so others can
> > give
> > feedback based on how this works in the real world.
> >
> > The only change I've made is to reference README.Coding not
> > CONTRIBUTION.md.
>
> Thanks! +1
>
> > >  * [ ] Code modified for feature
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this checkbox.
>
> Maybe name it: Preparation for a feature
>
> There will be follow up merge requests ...
>
> Better ideas?

* [ ] (optional) This MR is just one part towards a larger feature.

> > >  * [ ] Test suite updated with functionality tests
> > >  * [ ] Test suite updated with negative tests
> > >  * [ ] Documentation updated
> > >  * [ ] CI timeout is 3h or higher (see Settings/CICD/General
> > >
> > > pipelines/
> > > Timeout)
> >
> > This is not needed for the shared development repo, but saying so
> > in a
> > succinct way will be a challenge.
> >
> > Some wording pointing at the Contributing page on the wiki might be
> > good idea also.
>
> We could make it a link to the contribution page where it is
> described in
> detail.

Sounds good.  Remind me what the syntax for that would be?  To many
wiki/markdown syntaxes muddle my brain...

> > > ## Reviewer's checklist:
> > >  * [ ] Any issues marked for closing are addressed
> > >  * [ ] There is a test suite reasonably covering new
> > > functionality
> > >
> > > or
> > > modifications
> > >
> > >  * [ ] Function naming, parameters, return values, types, etc.,
> > > are
> > >
> > > consistent
> > > and according to `CONTRIBUTION.md`
> > >
> > >  * [ ] This feature/change has adequate documentation added
> > >  * [ ] No obvious mistakes in the code
> > >
> > > ====== /template ======
> > >

> > > Settings -> General -> Merge Requests -> Default description
> > > template
> > > for
> > > merge requests
> >
> > Finally, we should just be aware that this feature is not in GitLab
> > CE,
> > so we would loose it (just as we would loose the Approve button) if
> > we
> > moved off gitlab.com.
> >
> > (That said, it is entirely possible GitLab will open source it if
> > we
> > ask, so we should do that)
>
> The templates for Issues go into the git repo via
> .gitlab/issue_templates
> iirc. They would just need to add support for merge requests too.
> Doesn't seem
> to be a too big deal.

They even have merge request templates.  But they don't have a
*default* MR template, so until we fill in that pre-repo setting
nothing shows up by default.  Very strange, but yes, a fix would be
quite simple.

> > Thank you *so* much for proposing this.
> >
> > Everyone else:
> >
> > Please have a go with the templates over the next few days and help
> > us
> > get one that helps us all!
>
> Sugestions are very welcome. I can then use the improvements for
> libssh too
> :-)

Thanks Andreas!

Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/