ndr64 support

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Feb 24 17:44:02 UTC 2020

Am 23.02.20 um 07:43 schrieb ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 06:03:13PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical wrote:
>>> List
>>>
>>> Does samba support the NDR64 transfer syntax?
>>> This was introduced in 2008 and makes alignment better for various
>>> fields.
>>>
>>> I just noticed that when I use libsmb2 against samba 4.10 it always reject
>>> NDR64 as an unsupported transfer syntax and instead always pick NDR32.
>>> If I disable NDR32 support then the bind will fail completely with no
>>> suitable transfer syntaxes.
>>>
>>> I am testing against 4.10. Which is reasonable new.
>>
>> I *think* (although I'm sure Metze will be able
>> to give a comprehensive answer) that we support
>> it as a client for testing purposes, but not as
>> a server.

That's correct. It shouldn't be too hard to add support for it,
but it has a might be problematic for us to enable, because in
some parts we may incorrectly implement the IDL vs. application
layer encoding and may not be compatible with clients, e.g. with
spoolss. Maybe we need to make the support ndr interface specific
and whitelist interfaces we have verified to be usable with ndr64.

On the other hand I don't think the ndr32 alignment has any practical
performance impact. There are no performance critical rpc interfaces.

metze