ndr64 support

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 06:43:30 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 4:08 PM Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 06:03:13PM +1000, ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical wrote:
> > List
> >
> > Does samba support the NDR64 transfer syntax?
> > This was introduced in 2008 and makes alignment better for various
> > fields.
> >
> > I just noticed that when I use libsmb2 against samba 4.10 it always reject
> > NDR64 as an unsupported transfer syntax and instead always pick NDR32.
> > If I disable NDR32 support then the bind will fail completely with no
> > suitable transfer syntaxes.
> >
> > I am testing against 4.10. Which is reasonable new.
>
> I *think* (although I'm sure Metze will be able
> to give a comprehensive answer) that we support
> it as a client for testing purposes, but not as
> a server.

Ah ok, that is cool. thanks.

My big disappointment is that Windows do not support NDR64 for BIG
ENDIAN encodings :-(
Would have been so nice to be able to test with all 4 mutations of
ndr32 vs 64 and big vs little endian.

I spent a whole day trying to figure out why NDR64 + BIG-ENDIAN were
just always rejected with a FAULT PDU.
Until I found a microsoft doc that specified ndr64 must use little endian :-(

Funny thing is that windows2016 does allow you to negotiate both big
endian and ndr64 in the BIND command
successfully. But the following REQUEST PDU is faulted.

Windows2016: "yeah, you offer both ndr32 and ndr64 in the bind pdu and
you say you use big endian. Cool. I will trick you and respond that I
want ndr64 and that I rejected ndr32"
Me: Grrrrrrrrrr <angry noises>

ronnie sahlberg