Samba 4.12 rc3: bind DNS say "named: client update denied"

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 23 14:41:38 UTC 2020

On 23/02/2020 14:30, Dario Lesca via samba-technical wrote:
> Thanks, this is the answer to my question: This error message is not a
> DC problem.
> I can disable on Windows client the own record update (I will find out
> how) ... or ignore this error log (I know how to do it).
>
> Two little question to better understand:
> a) There is alto the way and it would make sense on Samba DC (or Bind?)
> to allow the client to update their own records like (I image) their do
> on MS-DC server?
Yes, stop using the script, you only really need it if you have Unix
clients.
> b) This issue is there also on samba heimdal kerberos?
Yes, it is down to ownership of the DNS records in AD and nothing to do
with kerberos.
> Sorry, I thought that since samba 4.12 was not released yet, I had to
> go here.
> I must move the message to other list?

For anything to do with an RC, probably asking here is a good idea, but
the script is an add on and really has nothing to do with the RC
release, so I feel you should have asked on the samba list.

Rowland