Document GitLab as the only way to contribute to Samba?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Jun 28 12:40:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-28 at 15:08 +0300, Uri Simchoni via samba-technical wrote:
> On 6/28/19 2:46 PM, Michael Adam via samba-technical wrote:
> >
> > Ugh. That's really strange. Is this a gitlab design choice?
> > Because if it is, it's finally a thing (and quite a major one),
> > where gitlab is way worse than github. ;-)
> >

> To be fair, I don't know if GitHub even has CI. What I've seen in  FLOSS
> projects is that they have their Jenkins/Travis instance or something of
> that sort (and who knows how many runners), and each PR would trigger a
> run there, and success/failure would annotate the PR. GitHub just
> provides the webhook.

That is true. CI is always external.
But you typically configure the repo to require those CIs passing
for a PR to become merge-able.

> I do agree with the bottom line though...

And don't get me wrong: I'm not advocating for github here.
I was just comparing with something I know better.
And if we could somehow tie the beefier CI with the core repo
and run it on every MR, that would be great.
But I probably need to read up on gitlab and it's ci etc.

Cheers - Michael