Some bugzilla work and thoughts

Anoop C S anoopcs at cryptolab.net
Wed Jun 12 05:24:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 00:05 +0200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> G'Day,
>
> So some of you may have noticed I did a bugzilla spree today.
>
> We have a problem.  There are 2400 or so open bugs across the Samba
> products, and I managed to touch about 64 of them today in a
> meaningful
> way, not just automated closing.
>
> The challenge is that while there are so many open bugs it is hard to
> find where to start or feel like one in making progress, a bit like
> the
> multiple pages of GitHub merge requests that built up before we
> migrated away.
>
> On an interesting note, while closing out up to 10 year old bugs may
> seem pointless, I've found about 1/3 were still relevant in some way!
>
> Dealing with just 2.5% of the bugs probably not the best way to spend
> almost an entire day, but I was inspired because I got some honest
> feedback recently that the sheer backlog discouraged the filing of
> new
> bugs, because any new bug would just be a drop in the bucket.
>
> Of course I emphasised that we deal with new bugs with much more
> focus
> than the backlog, but the point still stung a little.
>
> Many of our bugs are there because it is practice to file one 'in
> case
> a backport is wanted' that never comes.

It would be good to have an indication regarding the release
version/tag to which a particular bug fix has gone through while it is
getting closed as RESOLVED+FIXED. We could either use a bugzilla
comment or built-in 'Fixed in version' field to mark the version/tag.