[Samba] Computer Management - Share Security - No Read Access

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 21 17:27:42 UTC 2019

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 12:11:55 -0500
Marco Shmerykowsky <marco at sce-engineers.com> wrote:

> The "Share Permissions" was on the wiki.

I have changed it, you don't need to change anything on the 'Share
Permissions' tab, Well, I never had to.

> With respect to your document, I'm following it to the letter.
> Can't see anything I missed:
>
> root at sce253:/# service smbd stop
> root at sce253:/# rmdir /server/share-files
> root at sce253:/# rmdir /server/users
> root at sce253:/# cd ..
> root at sce253:/# rmdir server
> root at sce253:/# mkdir -p /server/share-files
> root at sce253:/# mkdir -p /server/users
> root at sce253:/# chown root:"Domain Admins" /server/share-files
> root at sce253:/# chown root:"Domain Admins" /server/users
> root at sce253:/# chmod 0770 /server/share-files
> root at sce253:/# chmod 0770 /server/users
> root at sce253:/# ls -l /server
> total 8
> drwxrwx--- 2 root domain admins 4096 Feb 21 12:00 share-files
> drwxrwx--- 2 root domain admins 4096 Feb 21 12:00 users
> root at sce253:/# getfacl /server/share-files
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: server/share-files
> # owner: root
> # group: domain\040admins
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> other::---
>
> root at sce253:/# getfacl /server/users
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: server/users
> # owner: root
> # group: domain\040admins
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> other::---
>
> root at sce253:/# service smbd start
>
> ** Computer Management -> Connect to other computer
> ** Click thru connection warning
> ** Open Shared Folders
> ** right click "shared-files" & select properties
> ** Select Security Tab
> ** Hit 'ADD' and find and add 'programs' group. (Completes)
> ** Grant Full Control
> ** Hit OK
> ** Click "Yes" to remotely reset permissions
>
> ******* FAILED TO ENUMERATE OBJECTS IN CONTAINER. ACCESS IS DENIED
>
> Can't see where I could be deviating

No and neither can I. All I can say is, it works for myself.

I made the document I sent you as I installed Ubuntu 18.04 from the
same .iso you used. I then installed Samba with the distro packages and
set it up as the document. The only changes I made to the document were
by adding a few comments to make it a bit more readable. It worked for
myself, perhaps you could do something similar, install a new VM,
making notes until it fails or works. If it fails, send me the notes
and I will try again, following your notes and lets see if I can find
your problem.

Rowland