Samba and Python2

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Tue Feb 5 07:06:37 UTC 2019

Hello,

currently we have Samba with Python2 and Python3 support and that's what will
be shipping with Samba 4.10.

We want to remove Python2 support and we can do so with Samba 4.11 however we
need to announce this with Samba 4.10.

I think we should add something like the following to WHATSNEW.txt:

Python version 2 and 3

This is the first release of Samba which has full support for Python 3. This
release also comes with Python 2 support. However this will be the last
release which ships with Python 2 support. The Samba Team doesn't have the
manpower to support both so with Samba 4.11 Python 2 support will be dropped.
This means if you use Python 2 bindings it is time to migrate to Python 3 now.

Improvements for the wording are welcome.

	Andreas