Samba and Python2

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Tue Feb 5 09:18:11 UTC 2019

Hi Andreas,

imho no harm in spelling things out more so +1

On 05/02/2019 07:06, Andreas Schneider via samba-technical wrote:
> Hello, currently we have Samba with Python2 and Python3 support and
> that's what will be shipping with Samba 4.10. We want to remove
> Python2 support and we can do so with Samba 4.11 however we need to
> announce this with Samba 4.10. I think we should add something like
> the following to WHATSNEW.txt: Python version 2 and 3
> ====================== This is the first release of Samba which has
> full support for Python 3. This release also comes with Python 2
> support. However this will be the last release which ships with Python
> 2 support. The Samba Team doesn't have the manpower to support both so
> with Samba 4.11 Python 2 support will be dropped. This means if you
> use Python 2 bindings it is time to migrate to Python 3 now.
> Improvements for the wording are welcome.
not sure if this is an improvement but....

Python versions 2 and 3

Samba 4.10 is the first release of Samba which has full support for
Python 3.
This release also comes with support for Python 2. However, this will be the
last release which ships with Python 2 support.
The Samba Team doesn't have the manpower to support both Python 2 and
Python 3
versions. From Samba 4.11 onwards support for Python 2 will be dropped. This
means if you use Python 2 bindings it is time to migrate to Python 3 now.