[PROPOSAL] Release ldb with Samba on the 6-montly release cycle

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Apr 11 13:27:49 UTC 2019

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:36:59 AM CEST Andrew Bartlett via samba-
technical wrote:
> Looping back to the top of this thread to put a reduced proposal.
>
> I've posted a new merge request here:
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/374
>
> The scope is reduced to aligning the ldb version with the main Samba
> version, so ldb would share the Samba release cycle.  There is no merge
> with the main Samba build, just a change to the version number
> calculations (and so release process).
>
> The primary motivation here is to decouple ABI changes (eg adding a new
> function) from release points, and so slowing down to a 6-month release
> cycle matching the main release cadence of Samba so that new features
> have time to bake in master before they are released.

Yes, I absolutely agree that SO_VERSION number should be decoupled from
release version numbers. This should also be done for the other libraries.

If I understand you correctly there will be a libldb release:

libldb-4.11 and then libldb-4.12

Samba 4.11.1 and 4.11.2 will depend on libldb-4.11.

If I understood it correctly than this sounds like a good idea! :-)

Thanks!

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D