Samba package 4.9.x samba smbd not playing with winbind.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Sep 25 10:22:40 UTC 2018

Hai Rowland.

You did not install winbind. That is where the problem is.
If winbind is installed, then you have the error.

Ok try this.
apt-get remove --purge samba winbind
apt-get install samba winbind

( if not started, try )
/etc/init.d/winbind start
/etc/init.d/samba start

And dont change anything in the smb.conf, does samba start now?

If already tested in different start orders and my results are always the samba.

So 2 solutions ( workarounds ) for now.

net groupmap add sid=S-1-5-32-546 unixgroup=nobody type=builtin

Or
Enable :
   idmap config * :              backend = tdb
   idmap config * :              range   = 3000-7999
By default.

This works fine also.
   idmap config * :              backend = tdb
   idmap config * :              range   = 3000-7999
   idmap config BUILTIN :        backend = tdb
   idmap config BUILTIN :        range   = 2500-2999

Both work and this is a small change in the default.
Im happy with these change, (for now).
More about this, because its not fully correct.
Im testing this a bit more..

Greetz,

Louis