Samba package 4.9.x samba smbd not playing with winbind.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 25 10:12:02 UTC 2018

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:11:21 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba-technical"
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> hai,
>
> Im wondering, im having problem whil installing samba + winbind on a
> stand-alone setup. Everything is the default setting.
>
> I've reported it at debian.
>
> Could someone have a look at this and tell me if im missing something
> here before im going in circles.. To me this looks like a bug in
> samba itself and the detection of settings, in combination with
> detecting winbind itself. Do note, im not a dev, just my thoughts
> here.
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

This is something to do with systemd, because you do not get the error
on Devuan. An upgrade to 4.9.1 finishes without an error.

Samba is not being run as an AD Domain Controller: Masking samba-ad-dc.service
Please ignore the following error about deb-systemd-helper not finding those services.
(samba-ad-dc.service already masked)
[ ok ] Stopping SMB/CIFS daemon: smbd.
[ ok ] Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbd.
[ ok ] Stopping NetBIOS name server: nmbd.
[ ok ] Starting NetBIOS name server: nmbd.
[ ok ] Stopping Samba AD DC daemon: samba.
Setting up libnss-winbind:amd64 (2:4.9.1+nmu-1~deb9) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-8-amd64
Processing triggers for libvlc-bin:amd64 (3.0.3-1-0+deb9u1) ...

Rowland