How to be an effective and professional member of the Samba user and development Community

Jim McDonough jmcd at samba.org
Mon Oct 22 14:38:53 UTC 2018

Dear Samba and Samba-technical mailing list members.

For many years we have run these lists dedicated to developing and
promoting Samba, without any set of clear guidelines for people to
know what to expect when participating.  What do we require? What
kind of behavior is encouraged?

A Samba Team member, Andrew Bartlett, came up with the *excellent*
idea of actually trying to give a set of guidelines on how to work
with and develop code for the Samba project, and we're announcing
them as a wiki link here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/How_to_do_Samba:_Nicely

It's been reviewed and commented on (and not a little edited :-)
by members of the Samba Team and we're finally happy with what it
says.

Please note this is not a "Code of Conduct" as such, but a set of
advisory guidelines we'd like people to follow, with a way for people
(privately if they prefer) to raise issues if they see them.

I hope everyone will find this document acceptable as a way for us
to agree on how we want our community to be a welcoming one for
all members.

Remember, if you're not having fun with Samba, we're doing it
wrong :-).

Regards,

The Samba Team.