[REPORT] Performance Test Samba vs Windows

Garming Sam garming at catalyst.net.nz
Mon May 14 03:40:12 UTC 2018

On 14/05/18 15:23, William Brown wrote:

>> 2) Looking at median packet response times, we generally spend twice
>> as
>> long on processing a packet. However, the difference between our 95
>> percentile values is often much smaller than this and some of the
>> mean
>> values are actually at parity.
>>
>> 3) With small to moderate loads, Samba handles a similar amount of
>> operations per second to Windows. For the values shown, it actually
>> seems to get more throughput (although not incredibly so) for a good
>> chunk of the table shown.
> What about "large" loads?

Joe's original email seems to have been eaten by the list for now. There
was a table he had, which I'll see if I can get him to resend. There's
two axis of load that we generate, more operations along the same
connections + using the same client vs having more clients. As you ramp
up more operations per client, we start falling behind to Windows up to
the 50% number I mentioned. On the other hand, increasing the amount of
clients doesn't seem to have the same behaviour. Windows doesn't seem to
handle more clients (+ more open connections) much better than we do and
the gap between us and Windows does not appear to be quite so bad. After
a certain point, adding more simultaneous clients degrades the maximum
performance. It would be interesting to see what a ridiculous amount of
clients would compare between Samba and Windows.

Cheers,

Garming