[REPORT] Performance Test Samba vs Windows

William Brown william at blackhats.net.au
Mon May 14 03:23:12 UTC 2018

As a comment, great work to get this test suite running against samba
and windows! It's awesome to see progress on this, and it will really
help in the future :)

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 15:16 +1200, Garming Sam via samba-technical
wrote:
> There's some interesting observations that you can make about the
> overall traffic, without looking at too much detail of the actual
> runs.
>
> 1) In terms of maximum traffic (which in our examples has been quite
> LDAP based), Windows is at most 50% faster. This number likely
> shrinks
> depending on whether or not the service levels (e.g. 99% success) at
> such high load are acceptable or not.

Great! I think there are lots of ways to improve LDB as well to help
close this gap further. I'll contribute some ideas and patches later
for this.

> 2) Looking at median packet response times, we generally spend twice
> as
> long on processing a packet. However, the difference between our 95
> percentile values is often much smaller than this and some of the
> mean
> values are actually at parity.
>
> 3) With small to moderate loads, Samba handles a similar amount of
> operations per second to Windows. For the values shown, it actually
> seems to get more throughput (although not incredibly so) for a good
> chunk of the table shown.

What about "large" loads?