LDB skew against Samba version

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 20 14:19:49 UTC 2018

 Hi, Stefan, Andrew!

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 07:43 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
> >
> > thanks! Can you remind me if it's possible to use newer ldb versions
> > 1.4.x or 1.3.x with 4.7? Timur asked me about that and I wasn't sure
> > as we had some problems with that at some point.
>
> It probably doesn't work, particularly for 1.4, as the DSDB module
> stack had to again be changed again when the locking got stricter.
>
> It also simply isn't tested.
>
> I don't suggest mixing Samba with LDB versions different to what it was
> released with, and we should probably remove the pretence that this was
> ever a good idea (ie like CTDB, just release with Samba).

Thanks, Stefan, for remembering  my question and acting upon!

Thanks, Andrew, for replying!

So, it seems that the best strategy for the ports/packages from now on is
to use
bundled version of LDB.

Historically, early samba4 ports were modeled after RH/CentOS RPMs,
in particular in the part where great four - TALLOC/TEVENT/TDB/LDB were
bundled as separate external libs/packages.

FreeBSD ports still use such an approach, but with the recent LDB
1.2/1.3/1.4
it became a bit of a hassle to keep separate LDB ports for separate Sambas
(we try to keep all last 3 in the tree).

Hence, I guess, bundled LDB is the best option for now.

With best regards,
Timur Bakeyev.