impersonation part7 (smb_vfs_ev_glue)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 25 20:55:09 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:26:33PM +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 01:32:23PM -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical wrote:

> > > Yes, it's to late for 4.9, it just went to master and will just be in
> > > the next release (4.10 or 5.0).
> >
> > Oh thank goodness :-). I haven't had time to read
> > through all the pthreadpool/VFS changes yet and
> > I'm terrified of having to explain them to OEMs :-).
> >
> > Is there any change you and Ralph can do a highlevel
> > design/overview document/description to help those
> > of us who will have to work with this code ?
> >
> > Maybe at SNIA (not officially on the conference
> > agenda, but informally in the plugfest conf room) ?
>
> as a VFS implementer it's bloody simple and all the nastyness is (mostly)
> hidden behind a cleve APIs.

That's what I wanted to hear :-).

> You can take a sneak preview at my upcoming VFS change on how to use it:
>
> Branch: <https://git.samba.org/?p=slow/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=8501cb1f4d1f8c5ac4129cceea679e580b6fd864>
>
> A good example how to use it to implement an async getxattr:
>
> <https://git.samba.org/?p=slow/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=a736471c334c9fe7db37e37c2a601ce9ab51c9e9>

One quick comment on this - if you're adding
SMB_VFS_GETXATTRAT_SEND/SMB_VFS_GETXATTRAT_RECV
can you also work towards removing SMB_VFS_GETXATTR at the
same time, and show how to implement the new functions
in terms of the old sync version so we don't
end up proliferating multiple ways to do things.

Look at what I did to remove SMB_VFS_FSYNC for
details.

Jeremy.