WAF 2.x upgrade for 4.9

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 25 05:11:26 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 22:31 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 13:16 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> > On pe, 06 heinä 2018, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > >
> > > It isn't that simple.  For example make test strictly assumes that
> > > py3_compatible means run with extra_python.  In talloc and tdb both
> > > only look for PYTHON_SO_ABI_FLAG in the extra_python case.
> > >
> > > While these are 'only' bugs, it works against your case that something
> > > truly special happens if these patches are merged.
> >
> > Can you give me more of those details you know about? We have no
> > recording of those anywhere, I think.
>
> No more details at this hour, that much just came up in a short code
> inspection looking for EXTRA_PYTHON and what it controlled.

G'Day Alexander,

Hopefully we can catch all these and then remove EXTRA_PYTHON when we
go py3 only.  Do you think we can get away with not building python2 at
all for talloc/tdb/ldb?

> > > Alexander,
> > >
> > > What I'm saying is you have sadly left this run just a bit too late.
> > > There are still loose ends and there isn't the compelling outcome that
> > > would justify the disruption in the most stressful few days of the team
> > > calendar.
> > >
> > > We all try and get just one more thing in, and now you know why I get
> > > grumpy when major features get held up 'with plenty of time before the
> > > release', because we all see how that time slips away.  But the last
> > > six days are crazy, I really don't think this should land this during
> > > them.
> >
> > You are correct in that it might be a problem. Perhaps, I instead should
> > take a vacation and forget about doing this work until the end of 4.9
> > release time frame.
> >
> > Sorry for my frustration.
>
> It's OK.  We are all feeling the stress!  I'm required to be at work
> until Thursday (to review and guide the last things at our end,
> thankfully all much less dramatic) and I'm already counting down the
> days.
>
> Thanks you so much for all your hard work and I look forward to helping
> you land this in a couple of weeks after a good rest for us both.

I'm just wondering how this is going?  I'm really keen to help move
this into master now we have the release stream in a different branch.

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba