WAF 2.x upgrade for 4.9

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 6 10:31:08 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 13:16 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On pe, 06 heinä 2018, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > It isn't that simple.  For example make test strictly assumes that
> > py3_compatible means run with extra_python.  In talloc and tdb both
> > only look for PYTHON_SO_ABI_FLAG in the extra_python case.
> >
> > While these are 'only' bugs, it works against your case that something
> > truly special happens if these patches are merged.
>
> Can you give me more of those details you know about? We have no
> recording of those anywhere, I think.

No more details at this hour, that much just came up in a short code
inspection looking for EXTRA_PYTHON and what it controlled.

> > Alexander,
> >
> > What I'm saying is you have sadly left this run just a bit too late.
> > There are still loose ends and there isn't the compelling outcome that
> > would justify the disruption in the most stressful few days of the team
> > calendar.
> >
> > We all try and get just one more thing in, and now you know why I get
> > grumpy when major features get held up 'with plenty of time before the
> > release', because we all see how that time slips away.  But the last
> > six days are crazy, I really don't think this should land this during
> > them.
>
> You are correct in that it might be a problem. Perhaps, I instead should
> take a vacation and forget about doing this work until the end of 4.9
> release time frame.
>
> Sorry for my frustration.

It's OK.  We are all feeling the stress!  I'm required to be at work
until Thursday (to review and guide the last things at our end,
thankfully all much less dramatic) and I'm already counting down the
days.

Thanks you so much for all your hard work and I look forward to helping
you land this in a couple of weeks after a good rest for us both.

Beyond the fiddly stuff, the next important step (after landing this)
will be that python3 build I think, and doing the same build and
config.h comparison with that.  We probably need an autobuild job in
that mode.

Then just the long slog though the remaining python3 conversion.  We
were all too busy today so I didn't grab the feedback from Joe.
Monday! This time really :-)

Once we get python3 working, I would vote we ditch python2 ASAP (beyond
waf).  A hard sell (backporters needing to use eg raskpace or software
collections python repos for Samba on older systems) but worth it I
feel.