Samba 4.10 or 5.0

Stefan Metzmacher metze at
Thu Jul 12 08:17:08 UTC 2018

Am 12.07.2018 um 04:36 schrieb Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical:
> On Tue, 2018-07-10 at 09:22 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
> technical wrote:
>> Hi,
>> we're going to branch 4.9.0rc1 soon.
>> We should decide if we want to continue with 4.10 or 5.0?
>> I think we should not put too much into version number,
>> similar to the linux kernel and just have a limit on the minor
>> version and handle a major version just as a number change.
>> So I'd propose with 5.0.
>> What does others think?
> I would note that if we can't get consensus now, we can always go to
> 4.9 for the moment and 5.0 later if the changes warrant it or the mood
> takes us.

Ok, we'll use 4.10 for now and defer the decision.

> I've got a good feeling about the next release cycle, I think there
> will be some good features in it.

Me too:-)


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <>

More information about the samba-technical mailing list