Samba 4.10 or 5.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 12 02:36:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-10 at 09:22 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're going to branch 4.9.0rc1 soon.
>
> We should decide if we want to continue with 4.10 or 5.0?
>
> I think we should not put too much into version number,
> similar to the linux kernel and just have a limit on the minor
> version and handle a major version just as a number change.
>
> So I'd propose with 5.0.
>
> What does others think?

I would note that if we can't get consensus now, we can always go to
4.9 for the moment and 5.0 later if the changes warrant it or the mood
takes us.

I've got a good feeling about the next release cycle, I think there
will be some good features in it.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba