Can you document your GitLab runner setup?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 3 09:28:45 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 10:18 +0100, Noel Power wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>

> On 03/07/18 00:53, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> > G'Day Noel,
> >
> > Thanks for being such a great user of the new GitLab infrastructure.
> >
> > While at SambaXP I helped you debug your GitLab runner setup, so that
> > you could run the full build of Samba in a personal fork.
> >
> > Can you document how that works?  I suspect some Samba developers would
> > prefer to have a personal fork rather than a shared repo and it would
> > be helpful to have an explanation on how to do that in the wiki.
>
> I've made a start, I've created this page
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=CI_using_Your_own_gitlab_runner
>
> Not sure where to link this from, if anyone has a good idea which
> section of the wiki this would be best placed please feel free to
> reference the page.

Thanks.  We need a GitLab page that describes the overall process.
Hopefully somebody not about to go on leave can help with that bit,
raiding from my e-mails to the list for content :-)

> > If I recall, the key detail was to ensure the docker storage driver is
> > set to dmmapper.
>
> I included an instruction for that

Thanks!

> > Also, can we collaborate on a patch to have it avoid the swapon if
> > there is already swap or there is enough memory?
> >

> Sure, but firstly I've on vacation for 2 weeks from end of today. Not
> sure I recall what the issue was with this again,

The .gitlab-ci.yml file tries to add swap to any machine with free
space, but this fails unless the runner is privileged (dangerous) and
only really needed on Gitlab's instances (not much RAM).  We should
skip this step if 4GB of ram is shown, for example.

> I must admit I haven't
> been using the CI on my own project on gitlab lately at all, I've been
> using the normal https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba and
> additionally our own internal gitlab instance.

That is actually a good thing.  I don't really want folks to provide
their own runners (what we have scales up without work, personal
runners need maintaince), but I wanted to mine you for info while you
still remember how it works.

> I should really go back
> to using my own gitlab fork/clone :-) the only reason I am not doing
> that is purely lazyness, the laptop I setup at sambxp with a runner I
> found was just too underpowered and I already had my development desktop
> setup with our internal gitlab instance. I will change my workflow when
> I return from vacation :-)

Please don't on my account.  However some folks might feel they prefer
not to be in a shared repository, and I don't want such folks to miss
out on the other benefits of this workflow.

The next task would be for someone to generalise the scripts to provide
runners in Azure, because all MSDN subscribers get some free Azure
credit.

Finally, please have a good break!

Thanks,