Need msDS-PrincipalName Attribute

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 23 20:50:54 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 13:43 -0800, Scott Jordahl via samba-technical
wrote:
> I have a 3rd-Party app that is requesting the "msDS-PrincipalName"
> attribute from the Samba AD. msDS-PrincipalName is labeled as a
> "Constructed" attribute (<domain>\<login name>) and I cannot manually
> modify the entry by using either the MS LDAP tools or via phpldapadmin.
> I need help trying to figure out if I can add the code to auto-generate
> this attribute or a way I can override the read-only flag so I can edit
> it manually.  I have a short list of users that need this attribute set,
> so if I can enter them in manually if I have the ability. If via new
> code, I need a hint on where to look and where it should be added. Of
> course, if I'm going at this totally wrong, then please point me in the
> right direction.

There is a module in our ldb stack called opeational which is for
exactly this purpose:

source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/operational.c

Have a go at using that to construct it.  You will also need to write
tests to get the patch up into Samba's master repo.

Thanks!