[Release Planning 4.8] Samba 4.8.0

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Jan 10 23:14:53 UTC 2018

Hi Garming,

> What kind of symptoms were you observing and how were they occurring?

On some DC some forward links are stored multiple times (I saw 1-5
additional values) with exactly the same low level value
(checked with --reveal --extended-dn).

And there was also a group where no linked nor non-linked attributes
are changed.

I fixed this with dbcheck of 4.7.4 and verified with ldapcmp
that everything was fine, but a few days later these appeared again
(without any origin changed on at least one group).

> As a note, some of the check disabling that you are fiddling around with
> is probably more broad than necessary in part due to the strange
> requirements necessary because of DN+Binary attributes. Duplicate DNs
> are allowed with different binary data, which intentionally causes
> duplicate backlinks pointing to the same objects.

Yes, I found that, that's why I only set the new flag for backlinks.

BTW: my branch passed private autobuilds even with the abort() calls
in place.

I'll try to run this in the customer environment with a panic action
in order to find which code path triggers the problem as I'm not yet
able to reproduce it at will.

metze