DCERPC requirements for DFS-R

Samuel Cabrero scabrero at suse.de
Thu Sep 7 18:22:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 11:57 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi Samuel,
>
> > I am also interested on this because I have started to work on
> > implement the missing parts on the initial Matthieu's work to get a
> > working client for the general case, not only for sysvol (multiple
> > content sets per replica group and arbitrary replication topology)
> > [1].
> >
> > I am working on top of current master and I haven't found any
> > problem
> > related to DCERPC, so is it insufficient only for the server side
> > but
> > enough for the client?
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/kernevil/samba/tree/dfs-r
>
> I guess you may get away with RawGetFileData() instead of
> RawGetFileDataAsync() as a client. But I'm not sure if it's possible
> to trigger a fallback in the windows servers client side.
>
> metze

Hi Metze,

I think we are talking about the asynchronous RPC byte pipes. The
RawGetFileDataAsync is is implemented in protocol version 0x00050002
(LONGHORN | W2K8), so setting upstreamProtocolVersion to 0x00050000
(W2K3R2) on the EstablishConnection response will force the windows
client side to also use RawGetFileData. I have verified this with
network captures between a windows server 2003 R2 and windows server
2008 R2.

Samuel