Merge brlock.tdb and locking.tdb

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Mon Oct 30 18:19:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 09:14:47AM -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 08:39:02PM +0100, Volker Lendecke via samba-technical wrote:

> > > Sounds like a good idea to me.
> >
> > One argument for keeping brlock.tdb is the fact that we might have to
> > read it MUCH more often to implement mandatory byte range
> > locking. You don't want to parse a potentially large and complex
> > locking.tdb record for every read or write request.
>
> Yep, that's the issue. That's why the byte range lock
> data was originally kept separate from the open file
> data.

yeah, I was afraid that would be the reason. On the downside, by using seperate
dbs we have do the update-num-read-oplocks mumbo-jumbo, but I guess that's still
less overhead then unpacking a locking.tdb record for the mandatory brls. Hmpf.

Thanks!
-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/