Merge brlock.tdb and locking.tdb

Sun Oct 29 19:39:02 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 06:25:54PM +0100, David Disseldorp via samba-technical wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:29:08 +0100, Ralph Böhme via samba-technical wrote:
>
> > Unless I'm missing something, the record key is the same, we could add the brl data
> > to the struct share_mode_data IDL definition and update the brlock code to use a
> > different backing store.
> >
> > This consolidation could be helpful in the implementation of a persistent
> > handles backing store.
> >
> > Anyone?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.

One argument for keeping brlock.tdb is the fact that we might have to
read it MUCH more often to implement mandatory byte range
locking. You don't want to parse a potentially large and complex
locking.tdb record for every read or write request.

> Would that also make removal of DBWRAP_LOCK_ORDER a possibility?

No, I don't think so. We have more than just those two, and we need to
keep the locking order correct.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de