Samba 4.7 print issues - no drivers handed to Windows

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 18 08:30:50 UTC 2017

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:49:09 -0700 (MST)
bogdan_bartos via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using a samba 4.7.0 on Fedora 26 x64. My smb.conf looks like
> this:
>
> [global]
> 	workgroup = BPDNET
> 	realm = AD.BLACKPENGUIN.ORG
> 	netbios name = AD
> 	server role = active directory domain controller
> 	dns forwarder = 10.0.0.1
> 	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> 	ldap server require strong auth = no
> 	spoolss: architecture = Windows x64
> 	vfs objects = acl_xattr
> 	map acl inherit = yes
> 	store dos attributes = yes

You should remove the above three lines, they should not be in a
smb.conf on a DC, they will affect the way the DC runs.

> [printers]
>     path = /var/spool/samba
>     printable = yes
>     printing = CUPS
>     create mask = 0700
>     print ok = Yes
>     browseable = No
>
> [print$]
>     path = /srv/samba/printer_drivers
>     comment = Printer Drivers
>     writeable = Yes
>     read only = No
>
> [netlogon]
> 	path
> = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.blackpenguin.org/scripts read
> only = No
>
> [sysvol]
> 	path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
> 	read only = No
>
> <shared folders...>
>
> I managed to load the printer drivers with Windows and the folders got
> created by samba and I got files into the x64 folder.
>
> [root at ad printer_drivers]# ls /srv/samba/printer_drivers/
> IA64  W32ALPHA  W32MIPS  W32PPC  W32X86  WIN40  x64
>
> However, when I am trying to double click the printer shared by samba
> via cups, Windows is showing the following message: "Windows can't
> find a driver on the network. To locate one manually, click OK.
> Otherwise click Cancel and consult your network administrator or the
> printer manufacturer's website". I do not know why Windows cannot
> load the drivers. I can browse to \\ad\print$ with no issues... Any
> ideas?

Have you read the printing pages on the Samba wiki ?

Start here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Print_Server

Rowland