LDAP notification tests fail with full-DB locking

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri May 26 19:33:47 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

> I'm trying to get in full-DB locking into LDB, but I'm having trouble,
> as the LDAP notification tests fail.  I've done a bisect and it is only
> once we enable the LDB locks in "ldb: Lock the whole backend database
> for the duration of a search" that we fail, but I can't yet figure out
> how.
>
> The branch is here:
> http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ldb-s
> afe-locking-private-ev-idx
>
> The aim of this branch is to address a number of failures we have seen,
> including we suspect the flapping replication tests.  We have been able
> to trigger replication failures and missing search results if we hit
> the DB hard enough.
>
> If you have any clues as to why the tests fail, I would be most
> appreciative.

Not really, sorry.

> Finally, I'm wondering if we can get the patches up to "ldb_tdb: Ensure
> we correctly decrement ltdb->read_lock_count" merged?  These patches
> are not enough to solve the lack-of-locking issues entirely, but have
> tests and at least ensure the read performance improves.
>
> Otherwise, it would be good to at least merge the event loop changes
> and the index improvements.

Can you please base the bare minimum on
https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-ldb-1
So that we have all tdb changes first, then all ldb changes
followed by the strictly required samba patches to pass
autobuild and at the same time have a tree that doesn't
introduce regressions.

Having that will make it much easier to get to the rest.

Then prepare a branch with the minimum required patches
to trigger the notify problem and give me the
make subset that triggers it.

Thanks!
metze