LDAP notification tests fail with full-DB locking

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 25 09:09:26 UTC 2017

G'Day metze,

I'm trying to get in full-DB locking into LDB, but I'm having trouble,
as the LDAP notification tests fail.  I've done a bisect and it is only
once we enable the LDB locks in "ldb: Lock the whole backend database
for the duration of a search" that we fail, but I can't yet figure out
how.

The branch is here:
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ldb-s
afe-locking-private-ev-idx

The aim of this branch is to address a number of failures we have seen,
including we suspect the flapping replication tests.  We have been able
to trigger replication failures and missing search results if we hit
the DB hard enough.

If you have any clues as to why the tests fail, I would be most
appreciative.

Finally, I'm wondering if we can get the patches up to "ldb_tdb: Ensure
we correctly decrement ltdb->read_lock_count" merged?  These patches
are not enough to solve the lack-of-locking issues entirely, but have
tests and at least ensure the read performance improves.

Otherwise, it would be good to at least merge the event loop changes
and the index improvements.

Thanks,