Releases, locking and ldb

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Jun 28 19:47:51 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

>> The only good news is that I have confirmed that 4.6 fails with 1.1.31
>> for 'make test TESTS=fsmo', and that the proposed 1.1.32 fixes this
>> specific test.
>>
>> This took me the whole work day, so the lack of a clear resolution is a
>> little deflating, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for all these tests!

> I think the best course of action is to say the supported version of
> ldb for 4.6 is the version it shipped with, nothing else.  There is
> nothing gained by including the more recent patches, only risk.
>
> I would suggest to un-release the 1.1.30 and 1.1.31 versions from the
> download page to avoid packaging by distributions (replace with a note
> saying they are withdrawn).

I also thought about something similar.

I'd also try to add a maxversion and/or a blacklist
to CHECK_BUNDLED_SYSTEM_PKG() and put that to 4.6 and 4.5.

I'll also try to see if I get something like your
ldb.h #ifdef _SAMBA_BUILD_
hack also to work.

>> Please advise what the most useful next step towards a resolution here
>> is.
>
> Sorry to be a bother, but due to timezones and the few working hours
> before the freeze I need to ask to ensure I apply my time most
> effectively:
>
> What are the next steps I need to do to progress this?

Maybe review my gensec patches I posted yesterday
and try to get some more content for the WHATSENEW.txt,
then I'll have more time to think about the ldb stuff
and propose a final solution. (I'm pretty sure we'll get there in time:-)

metze