Releases, locking and ldb

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 28 19:37:56 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 19:01 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 15:31 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 10:05 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
> > wrote:

> > > Sure, I'll do that today.
> >
> > It was a little more involved than that (showing in a way why these are
> > not trivially made subprojects), but see:
> >
> >  ldb-safe-locking-10
> >   and
> >  samba-4-6-with-ldb-revert
> >
> >  in my samba repo.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> Sadly both this branch and v4-6-test fails autobuild in the Catalyst
> cloud with the same error, so we cannot draw any conclusions as to the
> effectiveness of this proposed solution:
>
> [297(1142)/2043 at 32m16s] samba3.ntlm_auth.krb5 with old ccache(ktest:local)
> UNEXPECTED(failure): samba3.ntlm_auth.krb5 with old ccache(ktest:local).ntlm_auth with krb5 gss-spnego-client and gss-spnego server(ktest:local)
> REASON: Exception: Exception: could not obtain winbind domain name!
> could not obtain winbind netbios name!
> could not obtain winbind domain name!
> could not obtain winbind separator!
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/ubuntu/autobuild/b29597/samba/source3/torture/test_ntlm_auth.py", line 329, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/home/ubuntu/autobuild/b29597/samba/source3/torture/test_ntlm_auth.py", line 277, in main
>     buf = readLine(client_in)
>   File "/home/ubuntu/autobuild/b29597/samba/source3/torture/test_ntlm_auth.py", line 43, in readLine
>     raise ReadChildError()
> __main__.ReadChildError
>

> In thinking about this, I don't see why attempting to provide an ldb
> version that is backwards compatible to 4.6 is a task that has do be
> done in the linear master repo, rather than in a branch unconstrained
> by the release deadlines.  We should contain ourselves in the short
> term to the patches that prevent building 4.6 with 1.2.0
>
> The only good news is that I have confirmed that 4.6 fails with 1.1.31
> for 'make test TESTS=fsmo', and that the proposed 1.1.32 fixes this
> specific test.
>
> This took me the whole work day, so the lack of a clear resolution is a
> little deflating, but I hope this helps.

I think the best course of action is to say the supported version of
ldb for 4.6 is the version it shipped with, nothing else.  There is
nothing gained by including the more recent patches, only risk.

I would suggest to un-release the 1.1.30 and 1.1.31 versions from the
download page to avoid packaging by distributions (replace with a note
saying they are withdrawn).

> Please advise what the most useful next step towards a resolution here
> is.

Sorry to be a bother, but due to timezones and the few working hours
before the freeze I need to ask to ensure I apply my time most
effectively:

What are the next steps I need to do to progress this?

Thanks,