Best practices: Adding Persistent Handle support

Tom Talpey ttalpey at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 5 13:45:43 UTC 2017

Snipping to just one topic for this...

Well, that's not how Windows does it. Persistence is handled by an entirely
separate component, above the filesystems, called the Resume Key Filter (RKF).
The server global persistence *capability* reflects only the presence of this
component.

The persistence *implementation*, on the other hand, is per-handle, and is
determined by the filesystem at handle creation time. Totally separate subsystems,
and although they often come and go together, they're not monolithic*.

Tom.

* Monolithic: "One Big Rock" :-)