Best practices: Adding Persistent Handle support

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Mon Jun 5 04:11:51 UTC 2017

Responding to a few intertwined threads here...

Tom:
>From one pedant to another, your clear definitions of Continued Availability
and (vs.) Persistent Handles is quite helpful and appreciated.  From a
practical perspective, it seems to me that if the SMB3 server does not have
any shares that provide Continuous Availability, then it should not send
SMB2_GLOBAL_CAP_PERSISTENT_HANDLES since it cannot actually provide
Persistent Handles.

Metze:
I am leaving Resilient handles off of my immediate "To Do" list because, as
Tom explained, they are not quite the same as Durable and Persistent handles
in their behavior.  Still, any work done to implement Persistent handles
should move us closer to being able to do Resilient handles as well.

Thanks for your breakdown of the different levels.  I want to expose
Persistent handles in the VFS layer because different underlying file
systems may have different features that could be leveraged to support
Persistent Handles.

I'm going to study the existing Durable handle support to see if those VFS
functions can be overloaded to expose both Durable and Persistent handles.
That would be instead of adding a new brace of VFS functions to separately
implement Persistent handles, although I might still need to add an UPGRADE
function as you outlined.  This approach could turn out to be a bad idea,
but I also want to see if we can make Durable handles work across a cluster.

I will take a look first at the "top level" you described and see what needs
to be done to ensure that we can send SMB2_GLOBAL_CAP_PERSISTENT_HANDLES and
SMB2_SHARE_CAP_CONTINUOUS_AVAILABILITY in their appropriate places.  I still
think that the VFS module itself (the one supporting CA) should be in charge
of enabling these flags on the server.

Something to consider:  If the Persistent (and Durable) handles are exposed
in the VFS layer, and we can collect and maintain the required handle state
outside of the "glue layer" you described, then when we try to re-establish
a Persistent handle after a node crash we *should* be able to do so by
resynchronizing the "glue layer".  We should be able to do that during the
recovery phase.

Christoph:
This is the difficult bit of implementing behaviors that are outside of the
POSIX or Linux range of "normal".  We've got to negotiate how we're going to
do these things so that we cause the minimum amount of trouble for all of
the other stuff that people are trying to accomplish.

In this case, we're building on top of the SMB2_CREATE message which, in
turn, is built on top of a handful of Windows system calls plus some
features of the SMB3 protocol that are implemented by the protocol stack.
Persistent handles are one such feature.  If the SMB3 server is a member of
a CA (Continuous Availability) cluster and it crashes, then the client
should be able to connect to another member of that CA cluster and
re-establish the handle.  This, as Metze pointed out, requires maintaining
additional state.

Chris -)-----