nmblookup returns NULL mac Address from linux samba servers

shivappa Sangapur ssangapur3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 10:30:30 UTC 2017

Hi List,

When I was checking nmblookup utility, MAC address returned is always
00-00-00-00-00-00
#nmblookup -A 192.168.10.10

Looking up status of 192.168.10.10
        SHIVAPPAS     <00> -         H <ACTIVE>
        SHIVAPPAS     <03> -         H <ACTIVE>
        SHIVAPPAS     <20> -         H <ACTIVE>
        SHIVAPPAS     <1e> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>
        SHIVAPPAS     <00> - <GROUP> H <ACTIVE>

        MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

But there is one old thread on the same. The result is same even though
samba server is on same subnet (execute nmblookup on same samba server.)
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/1999-September/014495.html

This behavior is same in samba-4.5, 4.6.
Can somebody help me to identify the cause.
nmb->answers structure is always having 00000000 for mac address field.

Addition info: Windows clients return MAC address when nmblookup is executed
for windows IP.

Thanks & Regards,
Shivappa