[WIP] TDB traverse lock changes for massive AD DC perf improvement

Mon Apr 3 06:00:36 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 04:48:56PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> In short, all things in moderation, even 80 column limits. :-)

Here I respectfully disagree. 80 columns are not negotiatable for new
code. In particular old code that has deeply nested control structures
needs refactoring before we can do real modifications.

If you want to know why I am so dogmatic about this, I can only
highly recommend reading the chapter "Minimizing Control Structures"
from the classic "Thinking Forth", available for free online under
http://thinking-forth.sourceforge.net/. Even if you are not literate in
Forth (I am no longer by any means), this is a really enlightening book
on code style.

The initial section of that chapter begins with:

> The use of conditional structures adds complexity to your code. The
> more complex your code is, the harder it will be for you to read and
> to maintain. The more parts a machine has, the greater are its
> chances of breaking down. And the harder it is for someone to fix.

This is also the reason why I have my regular little battle with
Jeremy about passing booleans down, but that is another story :-)

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de

Samba eXPerience 2017, Hotel Freizeit In
2nd-4th of May 2017, http://sambaXP.org