[WIP] TDB traverse lock changes for massive AD DC perf improvement

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 3 04:48:56 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 15:05 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 09:05:48AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett via samba-
> technical wrote:
> > +		} else {
> > +			TDB_LOG((tdb, TDB_DEBUG_ERROR,
> > "tdb_transaction_start: failed to get transaction lock\n"));
>
> I know this is nothing to do with the patch, but I've finally
> blown a gasket on this...

I'm sorry you feel this way.

In terms of my code formatting, I work strongly for clarity and
consistency.  If look at this file, you will see all the debug messages
are formatted that way.

Naturally I've adapted that line (only) in the updated patches I sent
metze today.

I totally agree that having a globally consistent style in Samba would
be a good thing, and we actually do pretty well, which is why I find
outbursts like this quite as frustrating as you find what you feel is
deliberate non-conformance.

It isn't that I'm out to 'break the rules', it is actually that I just
code primarily to match what is already present, secondly to whatever
is the clearest expression for the task.  Coding to our standard style
comes naturally when the rest of the file already conforms, and the
problem space permits, but when it doesn't, or was written by others
who didn't take them as strictly as you do, we end up in a pickle like
this.

In short, all things in moderation, even 80 column limits. :-)

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba