Patch for adding SCTP support in CTDB

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 02:29:43 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Vishnu <vishnumr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> SCTP is useful in HA environments with multiple IP networks /
> multi-homing. It provides automatic network redundancy. When setting up a
> HA NAS system, I added sctp support to ctdb some time last year. Just
> updated the patch to apply on the latest ctdb git tree and built it.

Looks like the patch is for to 2.5.x.  There is no Makefile.in any more.

> Discussed this with Jose Rivera at SDC recently, he seemed to like this
> idea of ctdb using sctp as a transport. Here's my patch:

I think it's a bad idea.  CTDB is already designed with failures in mind.
In case a node fails, an interface fails or a link fails, it will do the
right thing and handle the fail over.  Adding multiple connections for node
communication is unnecessary complication inside CTDB.  You can achieve HA
for node communication using multiple NICs and bonding or teaming.  I am
not convinced that there is any need for SCTP.

Amitay.