Patch for adding SCTP support in CTDB

Vishnu vishnumr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 17:42:17 UTC 2016

On 09/26/2016 07:29 PM, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Vishnu <vishnumr at gmail.com
> <mailto:vishnumr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     SCTP is useful in HA environments with multiple IP networks /
>     multi-homing. It provides automatic network redundancy. When
>     setting up a HA NAS system, I added sctp support to ctdb some time
>     last year. Just updated the patch to apply on the latest ctdb git
>     tree and built it.
>

> Looks like the patch is for to 2.5.x.  There is no Makefile.in any more.
I did this patch on the git.samba.org/ctdb.git. I could not find a newer
repo, please let me know where that is, I can update the patch.

>     Discussed this with Jose Rivera at SDC recently, he seemed to like
>     this idea of ctdb using sctp as a transport. Here's my patch:
>

> I think it's a bad idea.  CTDB is already designed with failures in
> mind.  In case a node fails, an interface fails or a link fails, it
> will do the right thing and handle the fail over.  Adding multiple
> connections for node communication is unnecessary complication inside
> CTDB.  You can achieve HA for node communication using multiple NICs
> and bonding or teaming.  I am not convinced that there is any need for
> SCTP.
Bonding/teaming is link level redundancy, a lot of HA setups use bonding
and multi-homing / multiple IP networks. SCTP is a better transport than
TCP since it was designed to improve some of TCP's shortcomings. It
provides transport layer redundancy and does not affect the application
using the socket.